Sunday, February 7, 2021

Mid-treatment Update ~ Holding Steady


Update from the Radiologist:


Good news, my radiation treatments have been reduced from 30 to 24 sessions. Why? I can be treated more efficiently and effectively due to the shrinkage of the tumors and my larger than normal lungs from a lifetime of swimming! 

Swim for Life! 


Large Swimmer Lungs 


Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy IMRT.

IMRT focuses on the tumor while minimizing the dose to surrounding areas. It conforms precisely to the 3-D shape of the tumor modulating the intensity of the beam in multiple small bursts. Each beam comes from the circular yellow hash marks and make a clicking sound similar to the clicking noises of dolphins. I visualize being surrounded by my dolphin friends as they beam my body healing Endolphin energy. 

Inward Journey

I have now finished 2 of 3 chemotherapy rounds and am just shy of midway with daily radiation treatments. I am delighted to report…so far so good while still being realistic that the journey may become more difficult as my body weakens under the continued stress of treatments. 

My journey continues to turn more vigilantly inward. I am learning to minutely attend to my body’s needs in each moment.  Equally important is attending to my mental process. When my body gets too out of whack with the chemical cocktail coursing through it my mind sometimes starts  spiraling downwards towards misery and hopelessness. It’s as if I am in this vehicle, my body, which is navigating all these insults the best it can while I am here managing my mental expectations and disappointments. It's the dance of knowing what I can and cannot control. 

I’m getting a crash course on the benefits of ‘being present in the moment’ with whatever is happening to my body and not taking the bait of believing it will never go away.  The only constant is change and in the throes of the storm what counts is that I know the storm will pass eventually.  Why is it that I know the ‘good times’ come and go but I don’t remember that the ‘bad times’ also come and go?  The good news is that my ‘practice’ continues to improve during this crash course intensive. I definitely have had some physical and emotional plummets these past days but my bounce back has been shorter each time. 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Patti, been thinking about you and the journey you are on. Yeah, it's gotta be tough and I'm grateful that Janet is there with you to keep you on track and provide some guidance as well. Let's hope and pray that things get better soon. Love you, be well... Love Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration to me Patti....
    Dr. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! Swimmer lungs, yay! You and Janet are constantly in our thoughts. Keep hanging tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! I’ve been thinking of you two so much! Patti, you amaze me. Sending you and Janet so much love, and a warm Aloha (even though it’s been really chilly here lately). 🌺🌟🌈

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Patti—You are an inspiration for your insight and your courageous. We send you healing light daily and we know we are not alone in that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Patti, we are so glad to read that the treatment is working and that Janet is with you to help you through the emotional roller coster. We are sending you both lots of love and positive energy from this side of the world, Peter and Christine🥰

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Patti and Janet, You are in our thoughts and prayers, and we take inspiration from your process. We all benefit from your lessons on this journey, although our situations may pale by comparison. You are brave and bold and we admire your stamina. Thank goodness for those swimmer lungs! much love, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this beautiful blog and your raw honesty. Your practice is a blessing, being present to good and bad, watching the pleasant, neutral, and unpleasant arise and pass away is powerful practice. Thank you for sharing! Hugs and much love, Jane and Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, insightful words. Thanks, as always, for so generously sharing your journey. Encouraging news from mid-way through the treatments. Thinking of and loving you both. Basira

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Patti and Janet, Your words invite us to feel with you this crash course in the present moment. What great news about your swimmer's lungs assisting in your healing! Of course my favorite part was: "Each beam comes from the circular yellow hash marks and make a clicking sound similar to the clicking noises of dolphins. I visualize being surrounded by my dolphin friends as they beam my body healing Endolphin energy." Oh yeah, most definitely. Love you both so much, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Patti and Janet: The Pinks are praying for you and it is working! Stay strong and focused and soon you will be back in paradise doing all the things you love. Mahalo for keeping us updated as we all are praying for you and think of you daily. Mary and the Pinks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patti and Janet, sending lots of love to you. Patti, you are such a great teacher for me! Thank you, thank you for these wise words. Jo, a fellow pink

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs and Aloha from across the water that you love so much! Soon you will be back to enjoy the warm waters of Maui and the comforting honu who will gently glide along beside you. The honu on your mask chain is a reminder. We are all awaiting your return! Pink Power!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am deeply touched by the words describing your journey. Sending Love, Light and Blessings as I picture you both swimming with us in the Ocean. Linda

    ReplyDelete