Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I've Finally Arrived

India ate me up for the first few weeks, or is it a month now. My western born senses were bombarded by the intensity of India. The noise hit me first then the sights, smells and crowds enveloped me until I dissolved in complete exhaustion at the end of everyday. It has taken awhile to do more than just endure each day. Granted, this is in large part due to the way we travel which is much ‘closer to the ground’ than many want to travel including myself at times. So be it, if you play in the kitchen don’t complain about the heat, or something like that.

So now I feel like I have finally arrived and have found my equilibrium. I think it is always hard and shocking to the system on all levels to journey from the 1st world to 3rd world. It has felt like being a time traveler in several centuries all simultaneously. Here we are in the high tech IT hub of the world and a cow is walking down the middle of the street that has open running sewers down each side. I am constantly perplexed how the sanitation system has not moved past the 12th century while the IT network is in the 21t century. India is the land of contradictions and contrasts everywhere and in every moment.

We are now finishing the Rajasthan part of our journey and will next be heading to parts unknown in the South of India. Before we do we hope to be posting some of our adventures and certainly some of our photos from Pushkar, Jodhpur, and Jaiselmer. We take in so much everyday that it is hard to whittle it down to a few words and a few photos.

4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you are still alive. I worry about you two any time I don't hear a single peep (except something about stolen passports).

    If you are looking to whittle it down, then every few days post 4 words: WE ARE STILL ALIVE (or, we are in jail, or something, anything!!)

    Anyway, glad to hear you are settling in. I feel the same kind of dichotomy here between the advanced and the primitive, every time we have dealings with the Maui county government.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you girls!!! We too have been wondering of your where abouts. We have grown accustomed to your weekly adventure stories and pictures. Our appetite has only grown since we tasted your adventurous spirits. I tend to start dreaming of wild rescues put together by friends and family, so please girls keep your eyes and ears open. I am with Don, a peep of info is very comforting. Perhaps when you can stop moving and let the dust settle, you will gain your strength and orientation. I have been zooming in on your coordintes with Google Earth for vistas, weather and pictures. Love from Doug and Jody in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha and Namaste,

    We just watched a Merchant Ivory film set in southern India in 1937 (After the Rain) and the scenery was spectacular! Thought of you and sent good thoughts your way. With the way the economy is going here we may soon be living in a third world county without having to travel. Miss you both. With love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great posting about your state of mind and your process of reconciliation with India. Glad to hear that you have found your stride! Om Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram!

    ReplyDelete