Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Latest Hair-Brained Adventure

What do you do when you need a short haircut in a culture where all the women have long hair? For me, do nothing just hang tight till I’m back in Bangkok again. Janet decided she couldn’t wait so we have been searching for a place to get her a haircut from someone other than an Indian barber. We thought Chennai would be a good place since it is a big city and hopefully more cosmopolitan. We actually found a beauty parlor and the low and behold it had a copy of Cosmo!

I got the better end of the bargain when I got a facial while Janet got her hair cut. I never should have left her alone with all those excited Indian girls. One cut while 5 other chattering girls stood watch around Janet. I came out refreshed only to find Janet looking like Poindexter, she only needed the round glasses to complete the look. Her hair was parted down the middle and neatly slicked to each side; they would have had better success putting a bowl over her head and cutting blindly. The young Indian stylists were all beaming with pride over their first western woman’s haircut.



We held it together till we got back to the hotel and both agreed that I couldn’t do any worse. So I went at her hair with our 2 inch collapsible travel scissors. I think this last sentence probably says it all in terms of how desperate the situation was. Where do you start cutting hair? I had no idea.
I tried channeling my Maui hair guru, Donald. Do I start at the top, front, sides or back? Better start at the back where I could warm up and if I messed up it would be in the back. Good idea but no, the back was already too hacked to do too much more so I moved to the side. I remember the first time I was faced with shoveling a huge mound of snow. I had no idea whether to start at the top of the hill or the base or work around the sides. Janet’s head of hair presented the same problem, so I just kept moving to a different area of her head trying to match the other side. A little here, a little there and the sound of the scissors was sounding so professional, all 2” of them. "Snip, snip, snip". I am happy to report it was a success and her hair looks very cute and very short. So for now I am her stylist and she is my colorist.

The channeling was a success!

1 comment:

  1. Great video! I loved the fact that you were talking directly to me.

    Hey, you wouldn't want me to cut your hair, I use clippers and take everything down to one inch long or less.

    Patti, you did a GREAT job. Congrats.

    BTW, this is just like the movie we watched last night called "Caramel" about a women's hair salon in Lebanon, except they had a lesbian subplot. Oh, forget I said that about the subplot. Anyway, it was a very interesting movie and all the stylists got so excited when a non-regular client would walk in.

    ReplyDelete