Monday, December 15, 2008

Color Police

Cruising along in the lush green of tropical Kerala suddenly a day-glo orange house pokes me in the eye. Someone from the color police should issue a citation. I’m not quite sure why the houses here are so bright and the clothing colors are so subdued especially compared to those in Rajasthan but I’m not quite sure about a lot of things here in India so add this to the growing list.

Perhaps the vivid green is inspired by the brilliant green of the rice paddies but somehow it looses its eye calming effect when it is translated to adorning a house with the added charm of purple or orange trim. The houses with the brightest hue and the most contrast are the winners here. Needless to say this is yet another acquired taste that I have yet to acquired. One thing I do know is that tranquility in India is truly a state of mind because it sure isn’t available to any of my five senses.






















1 comment:

  1. Color police? I think the colors are great! I don't really understand the current emphasis on buildings blending in as if they weren't there (this is a rant to some of our local architects). I say, celebrate your presence. Make a statement. Don't deny your very existence.

    I have always loved the colorful buildings in the Caribbean and find that bright colors delight my eyes.

    ReplyDelete